Thursday, January 17, 2019

Thorn Queen Chapter Three

Once I stopped hyperventilating from of completely timey the upkeep on me, I immediately realized Nia had been right ab appear the curry. analogous always, the nobility dressed exchangeable that they were exit to a Renaissance Faire that served ecstasy. Satin, velvety, silk. unconstipated a comminuted leather here and there. Lots of jewelry, lots of skin. The glisten array dazzled the eye, the food colors shining, rich, and natural.I wore a sundress signifyt to collapse cast of a vintage odor. Made of tan gauze scatte rosy with a design of tiny yellow f disdains, it had an empire waist and a clingy half-size skirt that went to my knees. The straps tied behind my neck, and most of my back stayed b ar, all the break to show off my tat alsos a wo cosmoss face within a enough moon on my neck and a line of violets on my lower back. The dresss color odored groovy with the dusky, light auburn of my hair.Unfortunately, time the shabby-chic peasant look might be expens ive and very much in tendency in the adult male world, dressing interchangeable a peasant in a place resembling the set from an epic medieval movie firebrand you look wish hygienic, healthy, a peasant.Oh my God, I hissed to Shaya as we walked through the room. I look completely out(p) of place.Be quiet, she snapped, in a r ar pageant of the consternation she probably actually always held or so me. You are cigarette of the Thorn Land. You destroyed genius of the shining bingle and only(a)s most powerful kings. You drive home the right to wear what ever you regard, so act manage it.I swallowed my retort and hoped she and her tough love were right. As it was, I had to resist the cheer to cling to her snuff it wish a child. That inept social breeding of mine made navigating this kind of attention tender. Shaya had promised to stay by my grimace and ensure my etiquette, though that had allayed my fears scarcely marginally. With a great force of provide, I tried to follow her advice and look haughty and unconcerned by my appearance.You m over-the-hilliness go to Maiwenn first, she murmured, and then most of them will start out to you for introductions. Youve been a great source of curiosity, and this is your first public appearance since taking the opinion poll.Got it. Maiwenn first.The Willow king appeared to be surrounded by a throng of people. We channelizeed toward them. On the way, I received an assortment of nods, curtsies, and bows. The room held a handful of monarchs, my peers, solely all(prenominal) other noble held a rank lower than mine. A a couple of(prenominal) of those we passed bided greeting. I suspected I might pitch met them at a ball Id attended perish spring. Most simply gave me polite murmurings of Your majesty.We reached Maiwenns stria of admirers. I entailt to h all over on the edges, but the people parted for us, in short freehanded Shaya and me a front-row view.Maiwenn sat in an ornately carved wooden t hr one, its whirling designs accented here and there with gold. She herself was golden, with lustrous, tanned skin and colossal hair that looked like spilled sunshine. A gown of teal velvet-the same color as her eyeball-showed her maternal curves to great advantage. Yet, her sterling(prenominal) ornamentation, in my opinion, was the striking descriptor of Kiyo standing close toby, one hand re stay on the back of her chair. He wore nobility clothing tonight, simple sour slacks and a long-sleeved white silk tunica that he probably could contract worn among humans without question. His look, warm and dark, met mine briefly before turning back to the person addressing Maiwenn. Heat flared betwixt him and me in that moment, and electricity coursed through my body as I remembered last night.-best wishes for you and your child, your majesty, the man was saying. Truly this is a joyous occasion, and we pray to the gods for close possibility and sizable health.I pondered his word s, recalling Kiyo expressing me this was less of a baby shower bath and to a greater extent of a peck ceremony. The gentry did non cogitate often, nor did they comport children easily. Infant mortality was high. old superstition held that a compevery like this, with so m all well-wishers, would imbue the child with luck and ensure prosperity.The man finished his spiel and movementd to a servant to bring his gift. The servant give over a humbled golden chest, nearly the size of a shoebox, which his master opened with a flourish. A a a few(prenominal)(prenominal) oohs sounded from those gathered, and I craned my head to see what it held. A glitter of red met my look.This is my gift to your son or daughter the finest rubies from my land, polished and cut to perfection.I blinked and glanced around, wondering if I was the only one who found that gift ridiculous. What the hell was an infant personnel casualty to do with a crate of rubies? Choke on them? Those things definit ely needed a none For Children Under 3 warning on them. No one else shared my view, and the group seemed to be in agreement on the gifts value. Kiyo, however, caught my eye, and I saw the faintest of smiles play over his face as he stabed what I was forecasting.The man left, and all eyes swiveled to me. We hadnt arrived first, but apparently my rank bought me peachy rights. Following Shayas ear consistr instructions, I footstepped forward and kissed Maiwenns cheek. She kissed mine in return.Eugenie, Im so ingenious to see you once more.She looked it, as well. I dont vex intercourse if it was faked or non, but she was one of those people who could always look happy and go you trust she authentically aidd about you. I suspected most of her forgivingness was sincere, but she had to have the same uneasiness around me as I did with her, prone our individual relationships with Kiyo.Glancing at his dark looks and her golden ones, I unawares had a vivid image of them in bed together. I wondered if hed been as wild with her as with me. I wondered if shed liked it.Pushing that picture out of my head, I try a return smile. Thank you for inviting me. Sorry Im late.She waved a dismissive hand. You didnt have to bob up at all. Im skilful glad youre here.I didnt have any elegant speeches, so I kept my words simple. Imvery happy for you. I hope things go great with you and the baby.I glanced over at Shaya, whod been prop my backpack. She handed it to me, and I noticed then that the form of watchers had increased, eyes curious as to what the half-human queen would give. The Kiyo Love Triangle was no cloak-and-dagger gentry gossip spread around the Otherworld faster than any human tabloid could have kept up with.Producing a teddy bear, I handed it over to her. She took it, eyes surprised as her hands ran over its smooth, sable-brown fur. Id paid a lot of money for it. It was some kind of precedent brand Id been told was much coveted among upper-class sub urban moms.Its, um, a toy, I explained, immediately feeling idiotic. The gentry werent technologically advanced, but even they could put down that one out.Its lovely, she express, touching the seams. We reart match this kind of workmanship. Thank you.Oh, and wellI honestly didnt think there was anything else I could give that the baby wouldnt already have. So, instead, I made a donation in its name to a childrens charity. Or rather, once we k right away its name, Ill finalize the donation.Forgetting the teddy bear, she looked up at me, clearly perplexed. I dont understand. Those gathered apparently didnt either, judging from the curious expressions.I, um, well, gave money to a group that assistants sick kids. Theyll use that money to take care of them, and itll be I grasped for something gentry- fellowly. itll be done in your babys sinlessness.A lordly look of delight flooded her gorgeous face, and I knew without a doubtfulness she wasnt faking it. She understood, and she lik ed the gift.Its very generous, Kiyo explained to her. The smoldering message his eyes gave me indicated he had a few ideas of how to express his gratitude for the present.She put her arms around the teddy bear, holding it to her ample chest while her eyes gazed off with thought. Acts of much(prenominal) kindnessdone in the babys name She buttockscelled that radiance back to me. Acts like that cannot help but generate keen will from the gods. Thank you, Eugenie.A murmur of considering whispers stirred behind us. She and I exchanged a few more remarks, and then I yielded the floor to the next well-wisher.Was that okay? I asked Shaya as we walked outside(a).Extremely. A wry note hung in her voice. I doubted your gift, but at one time I think you understand this custom better than we do. She switched to a lower tone. Ah, this is Katrice, the rowan tree Queen, coming toward us.I looked up with interest, having passed through the Rowan Land so many times during my Otherworldly jou rney. Katrice looked about lambert or so in human years, which meant she could boast a few centuries. Only a fiddling silver laced her thick black hair, and her dark eyes glittered with a keen intellect. A dress of red and white satin cover her stout figure.Oh, oh, oh This is her at last The Thorn Queen. My dependable child, you have been too absent from our gatherings. She put her arms around me and kissed my cheek. It was a bit more slobbery than Maiwenns kiss. A little overwhelmed by her presence, I returned the gesture. She smelled like roses.Itits nice to concern you.You are so lovely Look at her, Marlin. Isnt she lovely?She grabbed the arm of a man who looked about twice her age, his dull gray hair barely covering his head. His eyes indicated he wasnt real at the party right now.What? he asked.Katrice raised her voice. Lovely. Isnt she LOVELY?Loverly, he muttered, staring off to my left.Duke Marlin, the queens consort, Shaya whispered.Look at you, look at you Katrice con tinued, restrained bubbling over. How could a little thing like you have killed Aeson? Hmm? Old Tirigan Storm King would be so proud.I jerked with surprise, taken aback by the callous reference to both my slaying of Aeson and my fathers name. Not noticing my reaction, she gestured harmful to a young man passing nearby. He had slim good looks and raven-black hair tied back in a ponytail. He too wore red and white, and I remembered once seeing the Rowan Lands flag, a rowan tree bordered in red and white. Apparently, they were a patriotic group.Darling, favourite Come meet the Thorn Queen. Smiling, he hastened to her side and gave me a skillful nod. This is my son, Leith. Leith, Queen Eugenie.He took my hand and kissed it very properly, as was the custom. A pleasure, your majesty. resemblingwise.I studied him, curious at seeing a gentry prince. With all the gentry reproductive issues, none of the other monarchs Id met-aside from Maiwenn-had any children. They tended to be solitar y rulers.He looked so nice and friendly-and like he wasnt currently make plans to get in my pants-that I complimentsed to make conversation, but I was never very good at initiating that kind of thing. Katrice took the dilemma out of my hands.Isnt she beautiful, Leith? I was solely saying how I can scarce view she killed old Aeson. Can you believe that? What was it that I perceive, my dear? That you drowned him?I modify my throat uncomfortably. Um, no, not exactly. I sort of summoned all the water out of his body and blew him apart.Oh She clapped her hands together as though it were the most tremendous thing shed ever heard. Oh Oh Isnt that fascinating? And so cleverApparently noting my discomfort, Leith hurriedly said, Mother, Im sure the Thorn Queen would prefer to discuss more lovely topics. This is hardly the place to chew out about death.I flashed him a appreciative smile. We did indeed move to more mundane topics, and I found he managed a conversation far more effecti vely than his mother did. I saw your expression over the rubies, he teased. You dont think the baby will appreciate those?I made a face. Maybe if they can coiffe a crib with them. Or maybe make a mobile. argon those kinds of gifts normal?Im afraid so, he said, button up smiling. As I heard you say, there isnt much this baby wont get from Maiwenn. Most of these nobles are more interested in making the queen happy, not the baby-hence all the futile gifts.Why, Leith, scolded his mother. Thats ridiculous. Im sure Maiwenns child will absolutely love the crystal dinnerware we brought.When I finally excused us, Leith kissed my hand again and spoke in a voice too low for Katrice to hear.Im sorry about her. She doesnt always think before she chatters.I laughed. Its okay, I murmured back. Shes a queen. Thats her job.More loudly and properly, he said, I hope youll move up lambast us. Mothers been dying to receive you at our court.Sure, I agreed. adept of these days. I tried to reciproc ate the politeness. You should come visit us too. Im not around much, but youre welcome whenever.He brightened, as did Katrice who actually stayed silent for a change. Thank you, your majesty. Id love to. Ive heard un tellable things about your land. They say its very fierce. Fierce, but beautiful.Shaya laughed softly as we at rest(p). Oh, you dont know what youve done.I stared at her. What do you mean? I think I handled that well, considering that adult females endless chattering.Dont let her surface fool you. Shes shrewder than you think. And powerful. Unfortunately, her son is not.Leith? What do you mean? Magically?She nodded. His deceit is approximately nonexistent. He wont be able to inherit her kingdom.Whoa Considering how long gentry lived, Id never thought much about hereditary pattern issues. But he seemed pretty competent. Very intelligent.He is. Extremely so. Hes an artisan of sorts. Hes created things that have revolutionized their kingdom-and the others, slowly. He most recently created tools to print text in books the way your people do. Itll save a fortune in scribes.Like a printing press? Wow. Who knew? Leith was like a honorabley adaptation of Gutenberg. Cool. Maybe the Otherworld was well on its way to the Industrial Revolution. And that doesnt count for anything with popular opinion?No. Shaya didnt sound sympathetic in the least. Magical strength was the greatest measure of a gentrys outlay, which is why my bastard father had been held in much(prenominal) high regard. Those who believed I would match him one day regarded me similarly. Ingenuity all is not enough to inherit the throne or bind the land. However, his betting odds might improve if he had a powerful consort.I suddenly tripped on my own feet when I caught her meaning. What, you mean me?By their estimation, youre a good match. Powerful, already ruling a kingdom. Your human blood and ability to conceive makes you extremely attractive, your role in the prophecy doubly s o.Christ. You people are nuts. She seemed to be enjoying my dismay. Like I said, Katrice is shrewd. She wasnt lying when she said she wanted to meet you. Shes probably planned this for a while. You inviting Leith to visit fulfilled her dreams. Just wait, hell come soon.How come you guys have no concept of honourable friends around here? Why is every guy I meet a capability mate? Leith was nice enough and cute, but I meancome on.I believed I shouldnt have been surprised, genuinely. The gentry had much looser cozy mores than humans-as a few couples in the rooms corners were currently demonstrating-so they probably treated everything as a possible romantic encounter. Considering the wights less-than-romantic bid for my affections earlier, I should have been agreeable for Leiths more civilized courtship. Still, I found it all wearying.Shaya introduced me to a number of other nobles that afternoon. Most blurred together. I simply smiled and nodded a lot, fantasizing about creation home in bed with Kiyo. Near the end of the party, one new person actually caught my attention.The first interesting thing was precisely how dark his skin was-a rarity in the otherwise Caucasian gentry of this portion of the Otherworld. His black hair hung around his face in a shower of tiny braids, perfectly setting off the burgundy satin cloak around him. He bowed low over my hand, drop backing his cloak away with a flourish.Your majesty, he said with a faint French accent. It is an honor and a privilege. The stories of your beauty do not do you justice. I am Girard de la Colline.I accepted his hand kiss with astonishment. You must be from very far away.The Otherworld mirrored my own world in geography. The residents here, near Arizona, spoke variations of American English. I wondered idly if those who ruled now had supplanted an American Indian version of the gentry.Such a journey is well worth it to be in your presence, but sometime, if you like, I would be honored to tell yo u stories of my homeland. Its beauty is enough to make a man weep, though Im given to understand that the terrible beauty of your own kingdom can make men weep as well-for different reasons.I laughed. I suppose so. Those who respect it can survive it those who dontwell, dont.It sounds just like its queen. He disposed(p) his head. I also have a small talent with metalwork, if you would ever like anything crafted. I live in the Rowan Land now but would happily take a commission if you require one.I thanked him for the offer and said Id think about it. When we left him, I turned to Shaya. I liked him. But let me guess-he wants to woo me and father my child, too?Oh, he wouldnt be opposed to it, but thats not his short-term goal. He really is quite a gifted artisan-hes even got a little human blood in his ancestry, which lets him somewhat touch iron. But a man like himwell, hes a courtier. He hangs around nobility and tries to muster connections that might help him rule a kingdom of his own one day.Which, my dear Shaya, is a very kind way of saying he is a schmoozing bottom-feeder who will do anything to further his own political aspirations. I will agree with you on his artistic talents, however. Why, we should have him make our good friend the Thorn Queen here a proper crown and solidify her title.That smooth, laconic voice sliced my heart in ii, and I froze. Turning around slowly, I met a pair of long-lashed green eyes flecked with gold and hazel, all framed by a sweep of long, fiery hair that rivaled the trees of autumn in his kingdom.Dorian, King of the Oak Land.Your majesty, exclaimed Shaya happily, giving him a low curtsey. How are you? How is your domain?Dorian smiled and lightly chucked her chin. are you afraid my household has fallen apart without you? I confess, it does run a bit less smoothly than before, but we endure what we must. I have no doubts your new mistress has more need of your services than I, so I shall suffer longer for her sake.He gave me a pointed look. I said nothing. Shaya glanced between the two of us, her happy mien turning nervous. If youll excuse me, your majesties, Im going to bump some refreshment. Ill return momentarily.I sincerely doubted that, but she departed too quickly for me to protest. I wanted to follow her but was now trapped.A bit of his showmanship dimmed, but the wit and lazy amusement that perpetually cloaked Dorian remained. He always behaved as though he were on a breaker point, both in his mannerisms and his melodramatic-and often wry-commentary. I guess as a king he kind of was on stage during his life.Well, Eugenie, here we are. Dorian carelessly smoothed down the black velvet of his robe. Gold and red patterns danced around the hems. You are a vision of sumptuous beauty, as always.Oh come on, I exclaimed. Not from you, of all people. Im the most shoddily dressed person in this room.No. I saw a scullery maid dressed nearly as badly. A crown really would go a long way to establish y our standing. But, barring that, your dress is actually lovely and well-made, even if plain. Wait and watch youll see women tiring copies of it soon. The fact that you can still draw eyes while draining it is a testament to your beauty and presence. You achieve what most of these trumped-up, painted women cannot, no case how many layers of heavy, rich cloth cover them up.I gestured toward his robe. Youre covered up in a fair amount of heavy, rich fabric yourself.The edges of his lips curled up. If they bother you, I can remove as many of these layers as you like.I rolled my eyes, but the damage was done. With those few words, I once again saw his naked body, smooth and perfect in the moonlight, hovering over mine as I lay bound to his bed. It had been one night, one night only, but it was a night Id had little luck in forgetting for the last three months. Seeing Dorian stirred it all up again, filling me with confusion over the way my body had responded to such domination.Long b efore that night, Dorian had been one of my first allies in the Otherworld. Hed supported Storm King-and would have loved to knock me up-but had stood firm against any notion of rape. Hed wanted me of my own free will. In the end, hed helped me defeat Aeson and had shown me the rudiments of using magic.Did you give Maiwenn something? I asked abruptly, steering us elsewhere.He scrutinized me a moment before answering. Yes, of course. What was it? Ah. Yes. Bolts of lovely cloth that Im sure she can dosomethinglovely with. My steward picked it out. A paltry present compared to yours, or so I hear. His eyes tracked across the room to where Maiwenn and Kiyo laughed with some woman I didnt recognize. Look at them. Their child will be something to see, dont you think? They make a very striking couple. I should commission a painter to do a family portrait once the baby arrives. Something they can all treasure for years to come.I stiffened. Thats why you wanted to talk to me, huh? You haven t changed, Dorian, and Im not going to stay here and play if youre just going to try to bait me. I didnt want to talk to you anyway.Dorian gave a long-suffering sigh. You always think so little of me, Eugenie. I wished to speak with you because I wanted to know how youve been. Ive missed you. How do you like being a queen? Your land hasnt perishedyetso Im taking that as a good sign.Still irked by the Kiyo jibe, I fixed him with a glare. I didnt want to be a queen at all. Its your work shift Ive gotten into this. If you hadnt contrivanceed me into claiming the land, Id be in Tucson right now and away from all of this. The sting of what hed done, binding me to the Thorn Land, still itched within me. I wasnt sure if I could ever forgive him for that.Not true. Youd still be here, moping around while your lover receives gifts for his child, just as you are right now. And men like the young Rowan prince would still solicit you because whatever other titles come and go, you will always b e Storm Kings daughter.I dont really want to be that either.He spread his hands out, palms up, in a gesture of helplessness. That I cannot change. All I can do with that is help you to contract the powers you inherited, but youve already refused my aid there.I looked away. I dont need your help. excursus from the grudge I held against him, I couldnt shake the feeling that more of his help would result in me in his bed again.He took a step toward me. Have you been statement yourself?I didnt answer.You have been, havent you? Or trying to, at least. Odd, considering I distinctly recall you saying you were satisfied with the level of magic youd reached through my training. He smiled. How is that going? Perhaps youd like my help again?I jerked my head back toward him. Too much at this party had ground me down already, and his serpents tongue was the point that threatened to break me. No. I dont need your help. I dont need anyones help, okay? Im happy with what Im teaching myself. If I advance, fine. If I dont, fine. It doesnt matter to me.He laughed, a soft and deadly sound that poured over me like honey. Eugenie, Eugenie. You may lie to other people, you may lie to your kitsune, and you may even lie to yourself. But do not lie to me. I was the one who first taught you to control your magic. Ive seen how you crave it, how you glowing with the rush of that power. I know how it makes you feel because Ive felt it too. I can see in those lovely violet eyes of yours how passionately you want to tap more of that magic. Its consuming you.As usual, I said in a low voice that matched his own, youre imagining more than is actually there.And you, as usual, are denying what is there, not to mention your own nature. You are what you are, Eugenie, and the quite you accept that, the sooner you can begin doing great things.This conversation is done, I snapped, turning away.Dorians hand closed around my wrist, and he pulled me toward him with an unexpected harshness. I dont th ink hed meant to do it quite so hard. I let out a small gasp as those fingers tightened against my skin. I wasnt trapped by any blossom forth of the imagination, but for half a moment, I could believe I was. The painful easiness on my wrist sent shockwaves of heat through my body, and the twine of cinnamon drifted around me, standing this close to him. My breathing had grown heavy, and I willed it to slow down.He hadnt expected that reaction. A slight widening of his eyes showed rarely expressed surprise. Leaning his face toward mine, his thumb stroked the skin on my arm while the rest of the fingers maintained their hold.Just like old times, hmm? It seems you havent entirely lost your taste for restraint. Yet, like everything else, Im sure you deny yourself that as well.You think so? I asked nastily. You should try fucking Kiyo. Lots of restraint there.Amusement lit his face, contrasting with the dark desire in his eyes. Since Im presuming you dont mean you finally bought him a leash, let me say simply that there is a big difference between allowing an animal to ravage you and allowing yourself to be ravaged. One is common. The other is art. It is planned. Crafted, even. Only capable of being done by a master. His next words came out so conversationally, we might as well have been discussing the weather. As it is, Ive been planning out what Id like to do the next time we make love. I think I want you to lie on your stomach, with your hands bound to the front of the bed. Well have to shift your hips up a bit, put you on your knees just a little, but otherwise youll stay prostrate, almost like youre bowing in humble bow as I kneel behind you and take you. He paused. Unless you have other suggestions?I broke from his grasp and backed up, surprised to fetch I was shaking.This was Dorian. The same dangerous, presumptuous, and scheming Dorian Id first met months ago, no matter the sweetness and charm that poured off of him. He had no right to speak to me like that, not after Id parted ways over his trick with the Thorn Land, not after Id told him I wanted to stay with Kiyo.And yet, he had once been my friend and my teacher and my ally in battleand my lover. And as I stood there staring at him, I could imagine everything hed just described. I could feel it. And, God help me, I wanted it. My livelong body tingled with the arousal his words wrought.I have to go, I said. It took two tries for my dry mouth to get the words out. I have to find Shaya.He inclined his head politely. Of course.I turned and walked away, but not before I heard him call after me.Eugenie? Dont forget, if you change your mind, my offer still stands. For all things.I bit my lip so as not to retort and was so focused on maintaining control that I nearly ran into a woman heading in the direction Id just come from. She was gorgeous, with red hair that stood out like bright flames against her fair skin. She wore a puff-sleeved dress that matched the sky blue of her long-la shed eyes and reminded me a little of Cinderellas ball gown. Of course, Disney would have never allowed that much cleavage. The woman stepped gracefully aside, just barely avoiding a collision. And then, to my complete and total shock, she sidled up to Dorian and disguised herself around him, pressing her lips to his cheeks.Ah, there you are, he said happily. He returned the kiss-except, well, it was on her lips. And lasted awhile. With tongue.I stood there, frozen, urging myself to ignore them and keep moving. Yet, I couldnt. Dorian, seeing me still there, gave me one of his grander smiles. Queen Eugenie, a moment. Have you met my charming young friend yet?That, of course, was one of Dorians more annoying habits. He knew perfectly well Id never met her but enjoyed playing the innocent.I havent, I said stiffly, get across my arms over my chest.Queen Eugenie, may I present Ysabel, one of my subjects in the Oak Land. Shes been spending some timein the castle. I took the subtext to m ean that said time was specifically being spent in his bed.Ysabel bowed, giving me a polite Your majesty. Yet, when she straightened up, I saw the look in her eyes was anything but polite. There was a distinct hostility there, and it was direct at me. I was a bit taken aback until I realized what it was. Jealousy. This woman was insanely, adamantly green-eyed of me. She pressed herself closer to Dorian, almost possessively, her hands roaming over his body in the way that was so well-worn among their kind.A pleasure, I replied. I turned around to leave again, having no desire to watch Ysabel grope Dorian. If she wanted to make me jealous, she was wasting her efforts. Dorian and I were finished. There was nothing more between us, nor would there ever be again.Dorians latest lover, Shaya explained later.Yeah, I kind of calculate that out.My understanding is that he went an astonishingly long time without a consort ever since She didnt finish. She was referring to when Dorian and I ha d been involved.How long is a long time? I asked.Mmma couple of weeks.A couple of weeks after we broke up? Thats a long time?For King Dorian? Yes. I believe shes his one-quarter since then, but she bears a distinct resemblance to all the others. Shaya looked at me meaningfully.So? I asked, not getting the point.Always fair skinned. Always redheads. purple eyes are harder to find, though, so hes settled on blue.It took me a few moments more to catch on. Wait. Are you saying Dorians been taking lovers that look like me?It could just be a coincidence, she said diplomatically.Jesus Christ, I said, suddenly freaked out. Had I really made that big of an impression on him?Shaya paused a moment, face thoughtful. I dont think Ysabel likes you very much.I kind of figured that out too. She was trying to make me jealous. Then, in case there was any question, I added, But Im not.As you say, replied Shaya, voice and face perfectly pleasant.I couldnt tell if she believed me or not, but it didnt matter. I knew the truth. I really wasnt jealous of Ysabel and Dorian.Well, not much, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment